Planning and Building Regulations


Visit BSI Standards, the UK's National Standards BodyThe first point to mention here is that compliance with planning and building regulations is the responsibility of the owners of the building and NOT the contractors carrying out the works.

At Elite basements Ltd we will obtain all necessary permissions on your behalf and can provide architectural and structural engineering services should these be required.

Planning permission is not normally required when converting an existing basement unless additional windows or entrances are to be added. Planning permission is always required if you want to create a completely separate dwelling (flat or apartment etc).

BSI-8102_2009 - Visit BSI Standards, the UK's National Standards BodyBuilding regulation approval is always required when creating any habitable space.

It makes no difference whether it’s a new flat/apartment or existing rooms in any part of the building.

*The only works you can carry out in your basement without building regulations approval is the creation of a dry storage area. You can’t create a dry storage area and then when it is finished use it for something else. 


We understand that there are still some contractors out there who will advise you that you do not need building regulation approval. You may hear “we work to BS8102” – BS 8102:2009 is the Code of practice for protection of below ground structures against water from the ground.

This is a British Standard and Elite basements Ltd also work to this standard in addition to the building regulations.

*(If you wish to confirm these facts you can make a quick call to your local authority building control department who will be pleased to advise you).

Visit Local Authority Building ControlBuilding regulations break down into 14 sections as follows:

* Part A – Structure

* Part B – Fire safety

* Part C – Site preparation and resistance to moisture

* Part D – Toxic substances

* Part E – Resistance to the passage of sound

* Part F – Ventilation

* Part G – Hygiene

* Part H – Drainage and waste disposal

* Part J – Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems

* Part K – Protection from falling, collision and impact

* Part L – Conservation of fuel and power

* Part M – Access to and use of buildings

* Part N – Glazing – safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning

* Part P – Electrical safety


Useful Reference Links

Fylde Borough Council – BuildingLancashire County Council – Building ControlPreston City Council – Building Control